Infused Kitchen: Cannabis-Infused Roast Turkey with Herb Gravy
As the leaves turn golden and the air gets crisp, Thanksgiving approaches, bringing with it a time of gratitude, family, and, of course, a feast! This year, we’re elevating the traditional Thanksgiving dinner with a modern twist: a Cannabis-Infused Roast Turkey with Herb Gravy. This recipe not only promises to be the centerpiece of your Thanksgiving table but also offers a delightful, slow-releasing euphoria, perfect for relaxing and enjoying the holiday.
Cooking with cannabis has evolved from simple brownies to exquisite gourmet dishes, offering not just unique flavors but also a way to enjoy the therapeutic and recreational benefits of cannabis. Our star ingredient is cannabis-infused olive oil, blending seamlessly into the turkey and gravy, adding a subtle herbal note that complements the savory flavors of the dish.
Cannabis Infusion and Dosing
Before we dive into the recipe, it’s important to note that edibles, like our cannabis-infused turkey, require careful consideration in terms of dosing. The effects of cannabis in edibles are delayed and can last longer than inhaled forms. Start with a lower dose and wait to understand its impact on your body, ensuring a pleasant and safe experience.
Cannabis-Infused Roast Turkey with Herb Gravy
FOR THE TURKEY:
- 1 whole turkey (about 12-14 pounds), thawed and patted dry
- 1/4 cup cannabis-infused olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 onions, quartered
- 1 bunch fresh rosemary
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
FOR THE HERB GRAVY:
- Drippings from the roasted turkey
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cannabis-infused olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Marinating the Turkey:
- Prepare the Marinade: In a small bowl, mix the cannabis-infused olive oil with minced garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Marinate the Turkey: Rub the cannabis-infused oil mixture both inside and outside of the turkey. Place some rosemary, thyme, lemon halves, and quartered onions inside the cavity of the turkey.
- Refrigerate: Let the turkey marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, or overnight for better infusion.
Roasting the Turkey:
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 325°F (165°C).
- Prepare for Roasting: Remove the turkey from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature. Place it on a roasting rack in a roasting pan.
- Roast: Place the turkey in the preheated oven. The general rule for cooking a turkey is about 13 minutes per pound. So, a 14-pound turkey would take about 3 hours to cook.
- Baste: Baste the turkey every 30-45 minutes with the pan juices.
- Check for Doneness: The turkey is done when an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads 165°F (75°C).
- Rest Before Carving: Once done, remove the turkey from the oven and let it rest for at least 20 minutes before carving. This allows the juices to redistribute.
Making the Herb Gravy:
- Collect the Drippings: Pour the drippings from the roasting pan into a bowl, leaving the browned bits in the pan.
- Make a Roux: Place the roasting pan on the stove over medium heat. Add the cannabis-infused olive oil and flour to the pan, whisking to combine with the browned bits.
- Add Liquids: Gradually add the chicken broth, continuing to whisk. Bring to a simmer.
- Simmer: Cook the gravy until it thickens to your liking, usually about 10 minutes.
- Season: Season with salt and pepper. Strain the gravy to remove any lumps, if desired.
- Serve the Turkey: Carve the turkey and serve it with the warm herb gravy.Notes:
Dosing: It’s crucial to know the potency of your cannabis-infused olive oil and start with a small serving to understand how it affects you.
Responsible Consumption: Always inform your guests about the cannabis infusion in the meal.
Sitting down to a Thanksgiving meal with this cannabis-infused turkey at the center is not just about enjoying a delicious feast. It’s about creating an atmosphere of warmth, togetherness, and a touch of adventure. As the subtle effects of the infusion blend with the joy of the occasion, it makes for a memorable experience that goes beyond the palate.
As always, when it comes to cannabis-infused dishes, moderation and understanding your tolerance are key. Share the details of the infusion with your guests, ensuring everyone is informed and comfortable with the addition of cannabis to the meal. This approach to Thanksgiving embraces both tradition and modern culinary exploration, making it a unique and special celebration.
Whether you’re a seasoned cannabis enthusiast or just curious about culinary cannabis, this Cannabis-Infused Roast Turkey with Herb Gravy recipe offers a delightful new way to celebrate Thanksgiving. So, gather your ingredients, put on your apron, and get ready to infuse your holiday with a touch of culinary magic!
Enjoy your festive and unique Cannabis-Infused Roast Turkey with Herb Gravy!